When we engineer an experience that blends both physical and digital elements, it is crucial that our team understands the scale, limitations, and properties of the materials, hardware, and software that we are using. Without this understanding, you can waste time and resources producing an experience that doesn’t match your original vision.
This lesson is one that I learned all too well several years ago from a humble wooden floor lamp.
Grab a piece of fresh, white printer paper and let’s make this work day a little more interesting. Go to Google and look for a robot arm (or if you’re like one of our project managers, Thomas, just grab your favorite action figure out of the 42 sitting on your desk). Draw a quick sketch of what you see.
Done? Good. Now, without looking too silly, move around the room and draw every angle of that arm that you can see. Oh, and while you’re at it…think about how that arm will look at any given time of day. Pretty tough assignment, isn’t it? Welcome to 3D modeling for VR.
Senior Graphic Designer Job Opening
Posted: July 31, 2017
The Senior Graphic Designer works as both a doer and thinker to oversee and develop visual communication solutions for all Anode clients. This person is effective at using design to craft unique, impactful experiences that grab attention and foster understanding across a variety of media forms, including motion graphics, slide presentations, the occasional traditional print piece, website design, and interactive applications. As with all Anode employees, this person has the ability to shift gears between subject matter, customer needs, personal communication styles, project scale, and types of design work.
The Senior Graphic Designer must be a natural visual thinker and storyteller. The role is very hands-on and busy, often working in concert with other producers, animators, designers, and developers to conceptualize and execute client solutions. The rest of the Anode team and our clients will challenge this role to explore new ways of using design and technology to communicate ideas. Therefore, this person must be insanely curious and relentlessly focused on the end user or audience experience.
- Four-year degree in Graphic Design or closely related degree required
- Four to seven years as a graphic designer within a studio, agency or in-house environment
- Must have knowledge, experience, and advanced skills in Adobe Creative Suite and the Mac OS environment
- Strong leadership and relationship-building ability
- Experience as both an idea producer and exceptional designer
- Ability to provide and seek clear direction from team members without stiffing creativity
- Demonstrated ability to transform complex information into approachable and understandable messages
- Design skills including drawing/sketching, concept ideation, wireframing, color theory, use of texture, spacing and scale, visual presentation development, typography, and layout
- Experience meeting tight deadlines while not sacrificing brand consistency or work quality
- Ability to shift between brands, mediums, and subject matter seamlessly
- Solid knowledge of UI/UX principles and best practices, including working knowledge of how UI and backend system are connected to provide seamless functionality
- Experience working with CMS, plug-ins for social media, e-commerce, WordPress and Expression Engine (if we absolutely have to)
- Have a knack to quickly learn new applications such as Sketch, Unity, Cinema 4D, Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects and more
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in client and internal meetings to design solutions that connect a client’s business goals with the end user’s goals
- Conceptualize and estimate creative solutions most suitable for the project goals
- Prepare storyboards, illustrations, and/or rough sketches according to instructions of client or Producer
- Proactively understand all physical materials, digital assets, and hardware components associated with a project
- Interface with development team regarding technical requirements for technology-based solutions
- Present concepts and ideas internally and externally with expert authority through verbal communication, presentations, and written narratives
- Create logos/type treatments; identity systems; print, web, and screen layouts; environmental or large-format graphics; animations; navigational controls; and other graphic elements as required
- Maintain consistency and continuity of creative concepts and project details as designed
- Turn creative feedback (both specific and obscure) from stakeholders (both internal and external) into actionable design improvements
- When required, work with outside creative vendors by providing art direction, as well as reviewing and approving work
- Follow a project through to the end—reviewing quality of final product and making sure the project exceeds expectations
So, what do you think?
Do you have what it takes to be an Anodian?
Submit a cover letter and résumé to Anode’s General Manager via email at email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is full-time and requires relocation to Nashville, TN. We will not consider contractors, placement agencies/headhunters, or remote workers.
The car is packed, the passengers are loaded, and the snack rations have been properly distributed. The sky is clear and the road is calling. Now, it’s time to make the most important decision of the road trip: Which GPS app should we use to arrive at our destination?